Saturday, August 22, 2009

Week 34

August 22. It's been a while since my last post. The reason was simple not much has happened until the last couple of weeks when my tendonitis disappeared. I consider myself completely recovered, the only difference from before the accident is that I can't reach between my shoulder blades with my left arm, but it's getting there. I haven't been back to the ice arena (although summer skating is really nice when it's hot outside). The psychological block is not the main issue, rather that I don't feel the need for that kind of exercise since the rest of my training is going so well.

Strength-wise, I'm exercising my right arm as well to keep the balance, and I've never been a better swimmer than now (thanks to great colleague who's also a swimming coach; I was at quite a low level even before the accident). The combination of breast stroke and crawl is quite beneficial.

The intense cross training has one incredible benefit of which I knew before, but never experiences since I did mostly jogging and biking: It's possible to exercise every day,weight exercises at home along with swimming 2-3 times a week, jogging 2 times a week, and some biking. I have no knee problems whatsoever from running, something I used to have.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Had surgery Tue. Sept. 8, (1 plate and 6 screws)6.5 months after fall. Post-op set for Sept. 17. Pain pills making me sick. Going with Tylenol tonight.

Per said...

I'm sorry the stimulator didn't work out. Surgery should be it. I hope your pain disappears. Please keep us updated.

Anonymous said...

I had a broken mid shaft humerus bone due to a motorcycle accident last September 11, 2009 my doctor did nod not recommend surgery. he have me use a fiber glass brace instead. your blog is very useful to me. thanks

Unknown said...

Post-op: Dr. pleased with healing. Hehad to cut through bicept to put in plate and screws. No numbness in hand. Swelling is gone in hand and fore arm.
First PT eval. Arm is 15 degrees off streight. Full PT starts tomorrow.

Unknown said...

7.5 months since fall! We have bone growth!! Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Still using bone stimulator. PT is still limited to arme weight only. I am able to get my arm full streight. Still have problems holding a full pot of coffee. Last week I had my first full night of sleep in bed! It felt great!

PrairiePaddleChick said...

I'm at 30 weeks with my spiral distal humerus fracture on my right arm. I've got full ROM and due to get an xray next week. Strength is returning as am able to wall climb.

But still have clicking in the ac joint which is not resolving. Unable to do overhead activities such as dragon boat paddling and swimming front crawl. Suspect it is weak lower traps but not sure. Could be tendonitis.

sports medicine new york city said...

Nice sharing your experiences here. We as readers come to know more about the surgery and recovery from your key writings.
Nice and keep posting.

Anonymous said...

Hi two weeks post accident I am very depressed is this normal? Feeling very bleak




Unknown said...

Nice post.Jhansi Orthopaedic Hospital is renowed name for being the best fracture healing hospital in Jhansi at affordable price.For any query visit website.