Monday, March 16, 2009

Week 12

March 16. My regular PT was back. He must have read the notes from last week since he offered me a large number of new exercises with or without weights. The best ones were the "bungy chords," different colored rubber chords anchored to the wall to be pulled in different ways. The resistance felt nice on the yellow, the lightest one. Then I worked on stationary bike for the arm: a crankshaft in chest level with settings just like a bike. That stimulated my speed and blood circulation (and I burned 15 calories).

Hardest is raising the straight arm to 90 degrees forward and sideways. It's still almost unbearable, even with just the 1-pound rod. That's the most central exercise now, it in two directions each standing, laying on my side, and laying on my back, thus working different muscle groups against gravity. 

March 18. This was the toughest day in the PT gym thus far. Every exercise had weights now. The snow angel exercise, for example, that I really struggled with only a week ago felt much better even with a one-pound weight. He even let me do some bicepts life with 5-pound bars. That's very easy, and irrelevant at this point. But I'm certainly sore. 

For Friday he warned me, strength is not the issue, range of motion is, especially lifting the arm above 90 degrees, "take some Ibuprophen before you come." Ouch, that's gonna hurt at night.

March 20. He was right, it did hurt. But he liked my joke about the torture chamber of the Spanish Inquisition. I would have confessed everything even with 200mg of Ibuprohen. He extended my range of motion quite a bit, which really evident when I used the pulley to raise my arm. It certainly not going 180 degrees up, but far above 90. This was great torture. The 5-pound bench press also feels good now. So there is hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a broken right humorous i slipped and broke it back in 2004 boxing day and i hadn't had a xmas drink.I have since had nail and 2 screws which didn't work one screw had to be removed a year later as it was catching on the main nerve running down the arm, after having the screw removed i lost feeling in the lower half of my arm due to nerve damage. A year later i had bone grafted from my hip to repair the break a plate and 8 screws that was painfull the brake itself when it happened didn't hurt at all but after they had messed with it, it hurt. I still have a none union fracture even though they have taken bone from my hip. I have had several trips to the physio but still no joy.So i guess you can't help wondering if all the ops and messing with it really does help definately not for me. Good luck with yours

Per said...

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I'm quite fortunate (although I don't feel it every minute of the day).

My doc wanted to avoid surgery by all means (although he could have made quite a bit of money performing it). He had broken his humerus and knew how hard it is. This is not like a simple fracture of the collar bone, for example.

Hang in there!