Monday, March 23, 2009

Week 13

March 23. Another assessment day at the PT's. My passive abduction lying down was 133 degrees, but I certainly can't lift my arm that high standing up.

I don't get a sense of immense progress. It still hurts lifting the arm high--I can hardly lift it beyond 90 degrees while standing--but I can do 8 pounds with biceps curls. I can actually feel that there is a muscle now, and triceps has been noticeable for quite a while.  The annoying this is that I can live without biceps strength right now, but not raising my arm above my head.

March 26. Today my PT reiterated the statement that he could probably bring my arm straight 180 without destroying and muscles or tendons, but that I would probably pass out. For a second I was tempted: a couple of days of severe pain for a gigantic gain of extension. But I passed. And it wasn't really an offer.

He also thought that I had the muscle strength to lift the arm all the way up, but that the joints and competing muscles are preventing this motion. It's very annoying. But the rubber band work at home really helps. The red colored one feels too easy already.

No comments: