Monday, April 13, 2009

Week 16

April 13. Time flies. Just when I thought I had muscle recovery under control, my PT introduced the Cable Column and one exercise in particular that was incredibly difficult: lifting the arm from down right diagonally up to the left. I simply couldn't do it even with only one pound resistence. So I'm back to the rubber bands at home as this exercises doesn't really need gym equipment, only diagonal resistance.

Except for that exercise, it was an easy day at the PT's. A pleasant surprise was performing the rows on the machine. It's easier to stand, rather than lying on my belly so the rows are much more effective.

As of last doc visit, the clinic has started to charge only what the insurance company is willing to pay, $35, instead if $65. That's very nice of them. Although I'm an easy patient--each visit takes less than five minutes with the doctor--that digital x-ray machine looks awfully expensive...

April 16. Today I went to the (real) gym for the first time since the accident. I certainly could have done it months ago, but now my home equipment started to show the limitations: a few weights, the rubber band, and a stationary bike. The Cable Column is simply a great tool, although i still couldn't perform the low right to high left exercise even without weight, but 40 pounds of rows was no problem (although I don't know if the actual weight is 40 pounds considering the leverage achieved by the pulleys). Another great machine was the elliptical trainer. The combined arm motion with the high heart rate made wonders.

April 17. It was a good and productive day at the PT's. I still couldn't do the diagonal low to high exercise, but everything else went and after "stretching" (it's rather bending) I was able to raise my arm to what felt like 180 degrees.

The weather was wonderful and I took a 30-minute bike ride, the forward leaning position of which felt like a nice stretch. My speed and cadence were similar to before the accident. But I don't I'll race soon, I'm too scared of falling.

There's one good thing coming out if this. I'm going to take more care of my upper-body strength.

No comments: