Saturday, February 7, 2009

Week 5



January 27 was a big day. I was allowed  to remove the sling and let the arm hang free. This seemed like progress at first, but as so many times previously, it turned out to be two steps forward and one backwards. Shortly after the removal, my hand and underarm started to swell. It seems only natural that the lymph system would have problems given the big callus blocking the return of the liquid. The situation was so bad so I had to call the doctor. He just said it was normal, and not Compartment Syndrome as one friend told me it could be. After three days I found a way to deal with the problem: horizontal position with the hand elevated above the heart.

I was also allowed to remove the brace to take showers and care for the skin. This was a big deal, although the lack of complete showers was never my main concern. The first couple of times in the slippery shower was truly scary.

By now, I was used to the x-ray that showed little progress for the untrained eye, but the soft bone is really apparent. Apparently, the x-ray is two weeks behind what has is happening inside due to its inability to show soft tissue.

During this visit the doctor extended my recovery one week. Originally, he had estimated a recovery period of six weeks, meaning six weeks until the brace could come off. However, the starting day was not the day of the accident, but one week later when the brace came one. And, of course, recovery doesn't end with a healed bone.

During this appointment, doc told my wife the now famous words in our family: "Don't let him baby that arm." 

2 comments:

gonzalo said...

First of all congratulations for the useful and interesting initiative of your blog. It is very helpful because doctors are never so specific in explanations as you are. I am following your weekly chapters.
I am having the swelling problem since the week 5, already are in the 7th, it is getting better but very slowly. I am a little desperate but doc doesn't give too much importance to it.

Joy Marie Hunt said...

I too am a little behind you in my healing progress at week seven. But at least it has started and he said no surgery. My primary care physican had a bone density test. No results yet. I would be very impatient if not for your blog.