Thursday, February 19, 2009

Week 8

No more Mr. Nice Guy. The second week of PT began with hard exercise: lifting the arm in different positions. My favorite was the quarter pound bench press--a simple wood rod that felt like lead. I managed ten pathetic reps... I am now working with a sports PT who's used to high effort. He told me a rule of thumb that I'd expected to be true for quite some time now: for each day the arm has been immobilized, it will take three days for the muscles and joints to get back on track again.

He noticed though that my range had extended in only three days. I still can't life the arm up to 90 degrees while standing, which according to aofoundation constitutes a complete healing of the fracture (albeit not a complete recovery), but I'm above 45 degrees now.

I'm also working with an Occupational Therapist on my underarms and hands. It's certainly not as urgent as the shoulder--two-hand typing is no problem, and has never been--but I do want to be able to play violin again.

On 2/21 I went outside without the brace for the first time, against the doctor's order. I just couldn't take it any more. It was slippery and snowing I the thought of falling and breaking the arm again was simply horrifying.

5 comments:

FauxClaud said...

I'm very jealous.. you are healing. I mean I won't hold that against you, I am glad for you, but I broke mine in October of 2007..and it looks like I had the method of treatment, and my bones did not listen.
My arm still clicks when the ends knock together.

Per said...

I'm so sorry. Obviously I'm not an orthopedic surgeon, but it sounds as if you would need surgery.
This link provides a large number of accounts of recoveries, including non-union ones: http://fusetalk.body1.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=266&threadid=15425&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Per said...

I read your blog. I was stating the obvious. I hope that you will be able to get help soon.

GB said...

Hi Mr. Humerus

I had similar left mid humerus break on 10th July 2010 and since then following your blog which is very helpful. I had my last Dr. visit on 20th Aug (6 week from injury) and Dr. was very pleased with the callus formation and asked me to continue with PT which already started that week.

I hear some clicking sound while doing elbow motion or some other...PT says that is callus rubbing against muscles and pain is due to scar tissues which are in process of healing. did you had similar feeling at this point of time.

don't know whther you are still sees your blog but if you do then few words from you will be very helpful.

Kirstie Wilk said...

Wow your also a violinist! I totally get your frustration. I also play other instruments and teach music - so I'm doing lots of singing and verbal directions - it's so much easier when you can just play to demo